How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Soup - from a Real Pumpkin or Canned Pumpkin!
Looking for a simple, illustrated recipe for pumpkin soup? You found the right page! Maybe you've never had pumpkin soup? It's really quite good - even kids like it! It's one of those foods, like carrot cake, that sounds bad, but tastes great! I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't liked this recipe! As an added plus, this pumpkin soup is all natural and all vegetable!
Directions for Making Pumpkin Soup from Scratch
- 3-4 cups mashed cooked pumpkin, (click here for directions to prepare from a fresh pumpkin)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large mild (sweet) onion, chopped
- 6 fresh carrots (finely chopped or grated)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- one half teaspoon salt and dash of pepper
- 1 pint half-and-half (I use fat-free) If you want to go "au naturale" try your favorite milk instead (half and half gives it more body, though)
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 stalks of celery (not 2 bunches!)
Recipe and Directions
Step 1 - Cooked pumpkin
Yes, you can used canned pumpkin.. .but how do you know what it even is? It looks nasty (no insult meant to Libby's). But look at the fresh, bright color of fresh cooked pumpkin (there is NOTHING added to it, that's its natural color). It's easy to make your own from a fresh pumpkin - just click here for directions to prepare from a fresh pumpkin! IF you must use caned pumpkin, you can get organic canned pumpkin in a BPA-free can clock on the box at right:
Step 2 - Gather the other ingredients
1 pint of half-and-half (I use the fat free type to keep this healthy)
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons parsley
(fresh is better, but not necessary)
- 6 fresh carrots (grated or finely chopped)
- 1 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 stalks of celery (not 2 bunches!)
Step 3 - chop the onion and celery
I use an electric chopper or food processor until the pieces are about 1/8 in size.
Step 4 - Sauté the onion and celery
Sauté the onion, celery and the grated carrots in butter until tender.
Step 5 - Add the rest of the ingredients
Add remaining ingredients except half-and-half. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Note: If you want to freeze the soup for use later, stop now and freeze it. When you are ready to use it, defrost it, heat it up and resume with step 6!
Step 6 - Add the half and half and serve!
Add half-and-half, and heat (on the stove on medium, while stirring, or a minute in the microwave). Serve warm. Makes 6-8 small servings.
Feedback and Tips
A visitor writes on November 19, 2008: "Hi - I am an Englishman, living in Vienna, Austria - how's that for starters! Tomorrow I am going to make your pumpkin pie, this looks like a great recipe and I will let you know how it turns out. One word to add about the pumpkin soup - it is very popular here in Austria and served with a dribble of pumpkin seed oil on top, which is delicious and referred to here as 'Styrian Gold', since it comes from the province of Styria. If you can get it in the US, do try, it\'s worth it! I had to take some over on my last trip, I come over every summer to see friends and get up to date on recipes!! all the best, "
Lids, Rings, Jars, mixes, pectin, etc.
Need lids, rings and replacement jars? Or pectin to make jam, spaghetti sauce or salsa mix or pickle mixes? Get them all here, and usually at lower prices than your local store!
Can't find the equipment? We ship to all 50 states! Just email us!
This page was updated on
Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /home/pumpkinp/public_html/pumpkinsoup.php on line 359
Our other free, informative sites you may like:
- EHSO.com- Environmental health and safety information and guidance for the home
- ConsumerFraudReporting.org - Information about identity theft, frauds and scams; how to report them and how to protect your identity.
- FitnessAndHealthScience.org - Practical fitness, health and diet information that works.
our other related websites!
comments, corrections, suggestions or
to recommend a farm to add?
Or write me at
Permission is given to link to any page on www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org