2022: Largest Pumpkin in the World
The largest official Pumpkin in the United States and the World
The latest report:
The largest pumpkin in the United States in 2021 is (so far) 2,121.5 lbs; by Edwin Pierpont of Jefferson, Maine.
The Global / Worldwide champion largest pumpkin for 2021 is 2,700 pounds (794.5 kg) in Tuscany, Italy, grown by Italian farmer
Stefano Cutrupi . This looks to be the all-time champion now, too.
Belgium's Mario Vangeel is still growing his and may come in second. Belgium often produces the largest global pumpkins.
In order to be in the running, you pretty much need
to grow a pumpkin that weighs at least 2,000 lbs (900 kg). If you want to grow a huge pumpkin, see this
page for tips. And then see this page for huge pumpkin varieties and
where to get the seeds.
- 2020: 2,350 lb pumpkin grown by
Travis Gienger of Anoka,
He drove the pumpkin to the 47th annual festival in Half Moon Bay, California and won the Safeway World
Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off. Gienger is a horticulture teacher at Anoka Technical College and he won the grand prize of $16,450
place in the US appears to be 1,742 lbs grown by Dale Marshall in Anchorage Alaska.
The largest world-wide came from the UK was 2593.7
pounds in 2020 by brothers
Ian and Stuart Paton UK largest Pumpkin (in English measures, it is 185 Stones.. yes, the same stones they use on witches...)
- 2019 was 2,517 lbs, grown by Karl and Beverly Haist in Clarence Center, NY.
- 2018: A 2,500-lb pumpkin by Steve Geddes from New Hampshire.
- 2017: In the U.S.,a pumpkin from Washington state weighed in at 2390 lbs (1,080 kilograms won at Half Moon Bay. .
Willemijns won the European Pumpkin Championship held in Ludwigsburg, Germany, with a pumpkin weighing in at 2,222 jbs.
- 2016 - Mathias Willemijns, Belgium, 2,624.6 pounds (1,190.5 kg) So for 8 years in a row, the pumpkins were
progressively larger each year!! So much for the
effects of heat, drought and global warming on pumpkins! The all time champion was an Atlantic giant grown in 2016.
- 2015 broke the previous US records at the annual Harvest Fest in
Stillwater, with the prize-winning pumpkin weighing in at
2,185 pounds, on Oct. 10, 2015, grown by Josiah Brandt of
Rudolph, Wisconsin. Second place for North America. 2,145-pound
pumpkin grown by farmer Gene McMullen from Streator, Illinois. It was
the world's third-largest pumpkin, according to the Great Pumpkin
Commonwealth (GPC) officials at the Wine and Harvest Festival in
Cedarburg, Wisconsin. The current world record holder is still the
2,323-pound pumpkin from Switzerland in 2014.
- 2014: John Hawkley, with a 2,058 pound pumpkin
won the North American title at the Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin
Festival in California, A close second was Peter and Cindi
Glasier of Uesugi Farms Pumpkin Park in San Martin, California grew
the 2nd heaviest pumpkin ever grown in America at 2036 lbs. The
world champion in 2014 was
a 2323.7 pound giant pumpkin grown by Beni
Meier weighed at the European Championship Pumpkin Weigh-off in
- 2013 broke records: but we can't find them now!
- 2012 - Ron Wallace, Rhode Island, 2,009 lb (911 kg) Ron Wallace from Greene, RI, grew a pumpkin that weighed 2,009 pounds, making both the largest pumpkin in history, and also the
largest fruit (pumpkins are technically a fruit) ever grown in the world.
The pumpkin was weight at the Topsfield
Fair in Topsfield, MA. Despite heavy rains that stunt pumpkin growth,Wallace's
pumpkin comes in well beyond the 2005 Guinness
World Record mark of 1,469 pounds.
- The largest pumpkin in 2011 weighed 1,818.5 pounds
and was grown by Jim and Kelsey Bryson from Ormstown in Quebec,
- 2010 had a record breaker: Chris Stevens of New Richmond,
Wi. brought his 1810.5 pound pumpkin, to the Stillwater
Harvest fest in Stillwater, Minnesota, on October 9, 2010.
- 2009 was
also new World Record 1725 lbs.
Fox News Atlanta reports "Christy Harp of Jackson Township, Ohio, holds the
new world record with a 1,725-pound pumpkin. She won first place at the Ohio
Valley Giant Pumpkin Growers annual weigh-off Saturday and took home the $2,500
first prize, up from
- 1669 lbs in 2008.
- 2007 - Joe Jutras, Rhode island, 1,689 lb (766 kg)
- 2006 - Ron Wallace, Rhode Island, 1,502 lb (681 kg)
- 2005 - Larry Checkon, Pennsylvania, 1,469 lb (666 kg)
- 2004 - Al Eaton, Ontario,
1,446 lb (656 kg) And in 2004 the runner-up was measured on October 11th,
2004 in Half Moon
Bay, California at 1229 pounds (about 560 kg). The owner received $5
per pound for it and the seeds will be sold off!
- 2003 - Steve Daletas, Oregon, 1,385 lb (628 kg)
- 2002 - Charlie Houghton, New Hampshire, 1,337.6 lb (607 kg)
- 2001 - Geneva
Emmons, Washington, 1,262 lb (572 kg)
- 2000 - Dave Stelts, Ohio, 1,140 lb (517 kg)
- 1999 - Gerry Checkon, Pennsylvania, 1,131 lb (513 kg)
- 1998 -
Gary Burke, Ontario, 1,092 lb (495 kg)
- 1996 - Nathan and Paula Zehr, New York, 1,061 lb (481 kg)
- 1994 - Herman Bax, Ontario, 990 lb (449 kg)
- 1993 - Donald Black, New York, 884 lb (401 kg)
- 1992 - Joel Holland, Washington, 827 lb (375 kg)
- 1990 - Ed Gancarz, New Jersey, 816.5 lb (370 kg)
- 1989 - Gordon Thomson, Ontario, 755 lb (342 kg)
- 1984 - Norm Gallagher, Washington, 612 lb (276 kg)
- 1981 - Howard Dill, Nova Scotia, 493.5 lb (224 kg)
- 1980 - Howard Dill, Nova Scotia, 459 lb (208 kg)
- 1976 - Edgar Van Wyck, Manitoba, 453 lb (206 kg)
- 1976 - Bob Ford, Pennsylvania, 451 lb (205 kg)
- 1904 - William Warnock, Ontario, 403 lb (183 kg)
- 1900 - William Warnock, Ontario, 400 lb (181 kg)
Other Country Records
1,190.5 kilograms (2,625 lb) set 2016, by Mathias Willemijns
- England 1,103.9 kilograms (2,434 lb) set 2020, by Ian and Stuart Paton
- Germany 901 kg
(1,986 lb) set 2016, by Wuersching
- South Africa 556 kg (1,226 lb) set 2017, by Hugo le Roux
- Spain 469 kg (1,034 lb) set 2003, by Carlos Perez